Friday, April 23, 2010

R.E.S.P.E.C.T

So, this is my actual FIRST full year teaching. I taught for a semester at Wanda Gray last spring but I this school year was my first. I really, really like it. It is definitely the career for me. I mean, it IS my family's business ;)
My one complaint....students. No, not that I have them. I love, love, love my class. But I am seeing firsthand how kids are so different these days. When I say different, I mean heavy flirting at the age of 9, jokes I would have not even known the meaning to until after high school. But my biggest shock was the lack of respect kids have for other kids, adults, and themselves. Refusing to do any work, rolling their eyes when an adult tells them to do something or to try to get on task, or copping an attitude back to another adult. I have caught myself thinking, "I will guarantee that Olivia will NEVER act like that..." and it makes me scared of what she will grow up with. What she will learn? What will she think is okay? I have already started preparing myself to be strong in parenting and to not be a softy like I can be.
Is there a right way to raise a child that will respect others and herself?! I know that best way is to trust God and to let him lead John and I and that is what I will depend on. Being a parent is definitely the scariest thing I have ever done. I thought I was scared to give birth...That was a piece of cake with all we went thru compared to the next 18 + years! Any wisdom?

1 comment:

  1. Carrie, I don't have any wisdom or advice (obviously because I'm not a parent yet,) but I did want to tell you that you will be a WONDERFUL mother no matter what! You are such a kind person, and I know you will be a wonderful influence for Olivia. :)

    ReplyDelete